Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Diaper Cake - Not for Consumption

I think every baby shower nowadays has a diaper cake. It's an adorable way to decorate the event while also gifting one of the major baby necessities in a cute, fun way. Of course I had never created a diaper cake prior to this event, but there was no chance I was going to give up the opportunity to give it a go. I searched the internet for various tutorials and inspiration for creating and decorating the cake. I found a very helpful tutorial for making a professional-looking diaper cake on You Tube (Diaper Cakes by Becca) and kinda modified it along the way to fit my materials. The tutorial was for a three tiered cake, but I decided to go crazy and make four tiers.

I purchased 180 newborn diapers and did not end up using all of them. In keeping with our pink, chocolate brown and polka-dot theme, I found as many different varieties of ribbon in this color/pattern scheme. Luckily this is a popular design right now so I was able to find a bunch. I then purchased some cute baby booties, pacifiers, and toys to add to the different tiers. Each tier had it's own ribbon theme and then I attached the embelishments where I thought they looked and fit best on each tier. Lastly, I created a plaque of the new baby's name out of pink and chocolate cardstock. I printed her name in the same Albemarle Swash font I used on the invitations and added some cute baby stickers around the outside. Ta Da!

Diaper Cake in all its glory

Bottom Detail

Right Side Detail


 


 





Name Plaque Detail

 



Baby Booties and Cake Topper Details 

Photos by Kyle @ 918 Photo

Next up: Favors

No comments:

Post a Comment